Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hit and Run is Only... Sort of a Hit

I know, I know, the name of my blog implies that I will only discuss food. However, that is not the case. I simply couldn't think of a blog name that encompassed my foodie nature along with my love of all things entertainment so bare with me for a while.






Anyways, Tuesdays are movie nights. Why? Because Regal Cinemas has $6.50 movie night for Regal Club Members. Unlike AMC's club program, the Regal club is free to join. You also get a coupon for a $2 small popcorn on Tuesdays. I believe on Mondays you pay full price for your ticket but you get a $2 candy. Also, using the Regal Club Card gets you points which are redeemed for free tickets, free drinks, and free popcorn/candy. I have gotten quite a few free tickets and other perks so if you don't have the card, get one! You have nothing to lose!

So, I let my boyfriend pick the movie and since there weren't many other options we went to see Hit and Run. I can't blame him solely for this pick though. I really wanted to go to the movies and there wasn't much else I was willing to see. I must say, it seems that there are a lot more previews before movies than there used to be. Maybe it's just me, it usually is. I did see a preview for Argo, the new Ben Affleck movie that I am pretty pumped to see.

When our movie finally started, I wasn't expecting much (I was almost at the bottom of the popcorn bag which always depresses me for a few minutes). The opening scene was quite touching. It was a bedroom scene but not the one you would normally expect. The premise of the movie? Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard need to get her to L.A. for an interview at the University of California. The hitch? He's in witness protection in the middle of nowhere because he ratted on some buddies of his and was the getaway driver in a bank robbery, which explains his ridiculous car and mad racing skills. He throws caution to the wind and goes with and then the hillarious drama ensues.

Tom Arnold as a Marshall assigned to protect him was spot on, I enjoyed his role although a lot of critics thought it was a tad bit over the top, all I can say is do not give the man a vehicle or a gun. Bradley Cooper played the main man he sent to prison and oh wait, they used to be best friends. Cooper is tipped off by a jealous ex-boyfriend of Kristen's that Dax is on his way and somehow the motley crew of Arnold, Bell, Shepard, Cooper and crew, and a couple of wayward cops end up in some crazy car chases and intense scenes discussing the quality of dog food, among other completely irrelevant topics.

Kristen at times was annoying and chastising, maybe that was just her conflict resolution masters degree talking. Shepard, Cooper, and Arnold stole the show. Shepard was the most relatable character, even though most of us probably have never robbed a bank. Cooper played a complete idiot toting a gun but did it with finesse, dreads and all. Arnold really surprised me, I laughed during every scene he was in, especially at the end when the conflict had been resolved.

As far as the plot goes, it's been done before but that doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining. It wasn't my favorite movie of Kristen Bell's but the chemistry between Bell and Shepard was great (they are together in real life, makes sense). It was lighthearted fun, I was never afraid for any of the characters. The intensity level just wasn't there but I did shamelessly enjoy the impossible car chases down dirt roads and Arnold's terrible luck with everything, except for his Pouncer app (for more on that, you need to see the film. It would be quite hillarious if we had it in real life).


Overall, the comedy was there. The dialogue was also (surprisingly) there as well. I enjoyed the witty banter between Arnold and Shepard the most although the dialogue between Bell and Shepard was also great and unique. Shepard wrote, directed, and starred in the movie so it was worth seeing it just to support him, I am a shameless fan after all. Appearances by Jason Bateman and Kristen Chenoweth only added to the film as a whole (especially Batement).

My verdict? A solid B+

No comments:

Post a Comment